I decided several years ago that I’d much rather spend my time counting reasons to be grateful than keeping track of reasons to be mad, sad, or frustrated. Little did I know how well that outlook would serve me as my life plowed headlong into this year’s Cancer Twofer!
The last few days (since surgery last Friday) have been a protracted opportunity to put my optimism to the test, and I’m thrilled to report that there is finally some concrete (and positive) news!
(On the way to Strathroy for dinner with cousins yesterday…couldn’t resist the photo op!)
- THE LYMPH NODES ARE CLEAR! This means that there is little chance that the cancer has spread to other parts of my body. This calls for some tap-dancing…or some French fries…or a Braveheart-type “whoop”! Or I could be really daring in my celebrating and attempt tap-dancing while eating fries and letting rip with Braveheart’ian whoops, but that might land me in the hospital for entirely different reasons than my current repeat-visits, so I’ll refrain for now…
- The calcifications are indeed “precancerous.” They don’t pose an immediate threat, but might in the future.
- The cancerous tumor was not excised completely enough. Further surgery is required.
- I have positive estrogen receptors. Sue seems to think that’s a good thing…not sure why (I’m confused). But I DO know that it’s nice to count estrogen as a card-carrying member of my Optimists’ Club! Way to be positive, hormones!
- We are still waiting on one test result. This one will determine whether or not I will need chemotherapy. How do I feel about the outcome of this test? Uh….strongly!
I will head back to Ann Arbor on Monday for a full afternoon of appointments during which a panel of doctors will determine the course of action and timing of the next few weeks/months. I will also be able to meet with a nutritionist (oy!) to learn more about the nutritional aspect of cancer-fighting and, hopefully, with the surgeon who operated on my face 7 weeks ago. There are still a couple small defects that she might be able to fix at some point.
We’ll see what conclusions are reached on Monday. I’ll try to post an update here some time on Tuesday. Please keep praying that the final test will allow me to get away with just surgery and NO CHEMO. Wouldn’t that be grand?
Just in case, I’m heading to my closet for my loudest-heeled shoes, to the basement for a bag of frozen fries, and I’m warming up my pipes: mi-mi-mi-mi-miiiiii…….